Wednesday, October 24, 2007

No Car... Lots Done!

Lately I've been working quite hard at two jobs and doing my best to stay sane while my poor husband works and studies really hard. This week he had to go to Indianapolis for two days for a conference. Thus, Gabriela and I were "trapped" at home. No car, no pre-school, no shopping, no running around, etc. It was actually quite a welcome situation. In life I have discovered that it is very hard to do more than one thing at a time, or at least to do one thing well. So, you either go see clients, or spend the day doing paperwork. Or you do the "normal" household chores (laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc) or you do projects. I opted for the project side these two days as I work hard on the "normal" chores much too often. The house was "maintained" so it was easier to concentrate on my chosen "projects".

Monday I opted to do some sewing that was waiting for me to get to. Amazingly, about a year ago I had caught up on all my "mending" and even most of my mother's! But, it is a pile that is not non-existent for very long. I sat down to start, and my machine was not working correctly. And there is no way I can figure it out. So, it will have to go to the shop as soon as I can get my husband's help to get it unscrewed from the table. This was the sewing machine I learned to sew on with my Grandmother's teaching. It was hers, and I do hope it is an easy fix. I will be heart-broken if not. So, I got some projects ready to go for when I can get a working machine, and did a few things by hand. My biggest challenge is a basket full of bras in which the underwire has come out... and need to be sewn back in to stay and not poke me in undue places. Any suggestions are welcome. So, not the most productive project, but I did the best I could.

Then Tuesday my main project was to finish caning a chair that I dare say I started prior to my marriage! I've been married 7 years and counting, and this was started quite a bit prior to that. Ugh. Very sad. I'm one that can usually start a project and keep going until it's done. Now, caning (as many things) is not terribly complicated, but I had never done this before, and it is an odd shaped seat in the chair, which made it extra challenging. My delay in finishing this is worsened by the fact that it's been 90% done for most of those 7 married years. In caning you go across twice, down twice, then once in each diagonal direction. I only had one last diagonal direction to go... But, the good news is I FINALLY GOT IT DONE!!!



In probably less than 3 hours!! But it's a project you have to devote some continued time to for it to be worth it. Too bad I couldn't have done this years ago... but between moving, getting married, having a house, then a baby, then moving and working again... it's always been pushed to the end of the list. But it was bugging me to have it unfinished. Now, I do need to figure out how to tie it off and finish the top edge, but I PROMISE to do this by Thanksgiving when my parents' neighbor can show me how to finish (she's who helped me get started). It will need some staining or finishing top coat to seal it and make it look really good again, but that should be taken care of the same weekend.

No comments: