Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not enough time!

Argh! Why is it I feel like I try to get a "head start" on Christmas in the fall ((beginning to think of gift ideas, looking for good presents/ideas/crafts at garage sales, etc) but then feel so behind in the week before Christmas? I am actually feeling more behind than usual because 1. I'm working (don't ask me about my schedule for next week. it sucks) and 2. My "cheaper, easier, more personal" homemade gifts are not getting done because the one thing they do take (besides sometimes more $ than you originally think) is TIME which I am short on lately.

And then I feel bad because it's supposed to be a peaceful, loving time of year, and I try hard to not be too materialistic, etc. but it's crunch time. So I guess I'm going to go to bed later to feel like I have some element of control over my time and spend it blogging with you all... :) You're special!

So I have a few things written down to share on my blog, so here go a few (I'll try not to put my Christmas to do list in here):

- I have recently gotten a few issues of Martha Stewart's easy cooking magazine. Great time of year for recipes since we tend to get bake-crazy this time of year (unless you're Amber or Fares, then any occasion is a reason to bake). Got two super easy recipes that are pretty cool.
One is a homemade pear sauce... just get a pan full of peeled, cored, cut up pears (fairly ripe), cook them with 1/4 cup water, a teaspoon of lemon peel/zest, and a sprinkle of (coarse) salt. Cook them til it boils, then simmer til real soft and a lot of the water evaporated, mashing them up. Then put in blender, stir in some honey and lemon and serve warm, or eat as you would applesauce. It's yummy and easy (besides all the peeling and coring)

the other one is a way to bake acorn squash. Just cut in half, remove seeds, then slice in one inch crescents. Put on aluminum tray (sprayed with oil) and sprinkle salt, pepper and brown sugar on top. Bake at 400, turn, repeat sprinklings and leave until soft and tender. Not bad.

- I have been known to talk in my sleep over the years, and it has continued with my husband. The other night though, he'll tell you I was doing more than sleeping. Now, he does like to exaggerate a tiny bit for the sake of telling a good story, and the funniest part is that I have NO recollection at all of his story. He said he awoke the other night with me palpating his face and neck, which freaked him out because he thought I was awake, til I abruptly turned over and went back to sleep. Ha Ha! Oh, and he's fine, no bruises or anything ;)

- Some Gabriela-isms:
Fares was driving with her and saw a person running and asked her if she could tell if it was a man or woman. Gabriela replied it was a woman. How do you know? asked Fares. "Because her boobs are going up and going down" says Gabriela

I asked her what she had for lunch. She replied a sandwich. What kind? I asked. (okay, this has to be translated from portuguese) "Baleia (whale) sandwich" What? She meant "Geleia (jelly) sandwich) Ha Ha

And of course this time of year anything she sees, she knows she has to request it from Santa Claus b/c mommy and daddy are poor... Well, she's never been a kid (so far) to point and ask for many things in the store, and rarely makes any scenes, etc. Well, she sees lots of stuff now that she wants to ask Santa Claus for. So Fares was with her and she was pointing to everything and he asks her what she wants. She replies "Everything!" At least the kid is honest.

No comments: