So I did a craft night on Tuesday this week for eight children including Gabriela. There are three great Korean families here that we have become good friends with and they are all in the same program as Fares. All the kids get along great, Gabriela loves playing with them and all the attention she gets, and they were so generous and offered to watch her a couple times a week when he was at class, and they weren't. Well, this week was finals and I knew the pressure would be on, despite being parents. So we arranged for me to take the kids when three of the adults were at a final, and the other that usually watches the kids was able to study a bit. Fares did stick around here and studied a bit, but helped too. But I fed them, and they painted some ornaments I made (so easy with cornstarch and baking soda and water, made them like sugar cookies), then decorated some cut out egg cartons to make bells, and the famous reindeer made from clothespins and the ones with candy canes. I tried a movie (The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was on that night, but it didn't seem to capture their attention). Overall I think it went well, though definitely a bit of controlled chaos. It's just a tiny apartment.
We also have some good news. Fares has been teaching a young boy English - in Korea! (and getting paid too) for about 3 months now. He now has two other students doing the same thing. He meets with them via the internet and it's going well. The only hard part is the time difference, he has to get up pretty early to meet them late at night (figure that one out)
And... he will start a part-time counseling job at the first of the year. It will only be 10 hours a week, so it should be do-able and add to our income.
Well, the one thing on my "to do" list is to get a Christmas letter written, which I started. I think I'll go finish that so my next post will be that letter... something to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment