Sunday, January 06, 2008

It starts all over tomorrow...

I should have a post for New Years up, but I've yet to download any pictures, so it's a bit lame without that to liven it up, so maybe tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow... it starts all over again. The crazy chaos we live in... go here and there, do this and that. School starts tomorrow. Fares is only teaching one class and taking one class, and he's pretty convinced that it should be a fairly simple semester. Oh, and he's not studying for a comprehensive exam either. All well and good on the surface. But, he is still doing A.M. ESL classes online, mentoring another grad student on how to be a good teacher (credit for teaching a second class), supervising an "independent" study of Portuguese with one student (to gain graduate level credit), will spend at least 1 Saturday a month for 3-4 months teaching Portuguese to Rotarian Exchange people, teaching his brother everyday at least once (sometimes twice) so he can pass the TOEFL and do well in a graduate course here plus office hours, one night a week at the clinic doing counseling, and looking for a job. Oh, yeah, and husband and father and cook :) as often as possible. And most of this without a car as I use the car to go here and there for my job.

Gabriela also starts school tomorrow. She's not gotten up early for at least two weeks. The earliest has been the last two days, around 9-9:30. She needs to be up at 8 at the latest tomorrow. And I have to be up by 7:30 (ugh). I can do mornings, if I have to. And if I get to bed and sleep before midnight. I truly can not imagine women who only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night (sometimes less). I shoot for a minimum of 7.5 and enjoy 10, though that's definitely a luxury not often afforded :)

I have the day off tomorrow. Well, I plan to get some other stuff done that I've not done yet as I've been trying to "unbury" myself. Update finances, get the oil changed, thank you notes, do some little chores, and maybe a few "fun" things. I got a lot done this weekend. I had originally hoped to have a "get away" weekend with my husband before the chaos started again, but we opted to try that in a few weeks. This allowed me to "clean up" and actually really helps me to feel more organized and in control. Don't worry, I'll be working my regular hours this week, and soon will be filling in at the other clinic plus my regular hours, and I'm also pitching in to help my BIL pass the TOEFL.

Thursday I got Christmas boxes out of storage (it was back and forth between storage and the office b/c my key got squished and did not open the lock... fortunately they had not locked me out, but I saved myself a stamp and paid for the month in person). I got all decorations down and packed that afternoon. Friday I spent nearly an hour re-arranging storage. It was getting to be a jumbled mess. Fortunately the weather was decent so it was possible to spend that much time getting it all sorted out. It now does not appear it will all fall on your head when you open the door. I also got all the clothes clean and put away. Saturday I spent the entire morning cleaning; the bathroom is now all shiny and spotless, I found lots and lots of dust bunnies and did a quick mopping job. Today we spent the day with friends that came down from Lafayette to visit, so it was a nice relaxing afternoon with good food and friends.

So, I have lots of other miscellaneous, more fun, and a few other important things to get done tomorrow. It's hard for me to concentrate on other stuff if my house is cluttered or too dirty. It's such a small place, it's easy to get overwhelmed with stuff out of place or too much stuff. I got rid of trash, recycling, Christmas stuff, and donated two trash bags of outdated clothes to Goodwill this weekend... it's wonderful to purge!

I read recently that a reasonable goal is to get a certain area organized, but it is irrational to believe all areas can be organized at all times. But that seems to be my ideal goal... but more than that, I'd like what I clean or organize to stay that way for an extended period of time. I try to stay organized to feel sane, but not get too anal either... I figure if my to do list is ever truly done with nothing else to do, then my time here is done. So as long as I am busy, it's a good thing. Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments: