On our way to Ohio for Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day, my father's father passed away. He was 91 years old (shares his birthday date with my best-est friend) and would have completed 69 years of marriage to my grandmother in a few weeks (sharing that date with my husband's birthday). My grandfather was one of those strong, but silent types. He had always been a big, robust man, and would give me the biggest bear hugs and called me "pumpkin." He loved to eat, and was an excellent cook (the beginning of a legacy of men in my life that are great cooks - my father and husband being the others). I will never forget the butter cookies he made every Christmas. He was a huge college football fan, rooting only for the Ohio Buckeyes. He was in the OSU marching band in college and was part of the first Ohio Script ever done! There will be a book published in the future with his interview with the author. He played the trombone, violin and french horn. He was a metalurgist (metal science engineer) and worked for NCR all but 2 years of his career. His most distinguished professional accomplishment was creating the process to make small metal pieces out of powdered metal. Apparently it has revolutionized many industries.
The hardest part in saying good-bye to him was not so much saying good-bye, as he had been ill for a while, but witnessing my grandmother's grief and knowing how hard it must be for her now. She loved him, and he had always taken care of her. I spent a week with her so she would not be alone and I pray that she will find solace and those around her will provide her with company so she will not feel so alone.
2 comments:
Your grandpa seems like a great guy who contributed a lot to the world in his life. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your Grandma does well.
You gave a beautiful tribute to his life! I'm sure your grandma appreciated your stay. My grandpa was a metalurgist too, for GE.
Post a Comment