Sunday, December 09, 2007

O Tannenbaum



Well, we had our first snow (sorry, no pics of that because it only lasted for a day) and it was the day after we got our tree up and decorated. Gabriela was a great helper this year and is SO excited she can barely contain herself! The day it snowed, she knew it was Christmas because it had snowed... we're doing the Advent Calendar so maybe that will help her concept of time too. It's always fun putting the ornaments on the tree because each one means something. Most of them were given on a gift which makes you remember the giver or receiver, sometimes the particular year and some are handmade. This year, I treasure the ballerinas that were part of my mobile my Grandfather made for me as a baby that have been tree toys for a long time now.

I am very glad I have a full size tree, but it's narrow enough we have just enough space for it in our tiny apartment. I must say, one of my absolute favorite parts of Christmas growing up, and today too, is sitting in the quiet, dark house and just looking at the lights on the tree. There is such peace and tranquility that comes from that for me, and it's just plain beautiful. We all need some extra quiet time in this busy season... to remember... the Reason for the Season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's neat what you say about a lit tree in a dark room. I care for an elderly woman and she takes a nap in the afternoon in the living in the chair next to the tree. There is just something serene about seeing her sleep there in the glow of the Christmas tree.