Yesterday, Gabriela got off the bus, and just sort of walked to the building. She normally jumps off smiling and happy to see me, running up to the building. When she finally arrived, she informed me that she had some bad news. I immediately began to think maybe she did something that got her called out in class or something (she's never been disciplined by her teacher to date).
It wasn't that. She had just become absolutely heart-broken. Before six years old!
A little background: For the longest time, she was set on marrying her father and spoke about it quite a lot. (she did walk down the aisle with him the first time at 18 months for a friend's wedding). Very cute. Then she met "Little" Michael or aka Michael from Korea (we had a couple Michaels in our life for a while so we had to distinguish them). They were great friends and she decided she would marry him. But alas, he returned to Korea and the flame has peetered out. This school year she has become fond of Daniel (a little boy from Taiwan I believe). He is a very nice boy and lives in our building, so rides the same bus, etc. He has protected Gabriela a few times from others and a couple times accompanied her to our door when I was not at the bus stop when they arrived. Very gentleman-ly little boy. So for a while now she has been "in love" with Daniel, though it's a secret so he won't become embarrassed, etc.
So what happened yesterday to destroy her little heart? Michael from her class (a new Michael who, btw, has been entangled in numerous love triangles on the kindergarten playground) learned of her attraction to Daniel and told Daniel. Daniel informed him that he liked someone else, not Gabriela. Good ol' Michael told her so. And thus the sad face when she got off the bus.
Oh dear. Heartbroken at (almost) 6. It's really actually kind of cute and funny but sad at the same time. Her aunt promised her a new boy was on the way that spoke portuguese that she could love. She was referring to her baby (still in the belly for a few more weeks)... then Gabriela started making plans to marry her cousin, which I had to try and explain why that wasn't a good idea.
Fortunately I had planned a few party preparation activities, so she was mostly distracted and not too down for the rest of the afternoon. She was lamenting later, though, that she had no idea who on earth she would marry!! LOL
Oh my. We are definitely not a preschooler anymore! We are also starting to get the line "why do you want me to do EVERYthing?!"
3 comments:
Maria, tell little Miss Gabriela that I am positive this little Daniel likes her, but was completely SHOCKED that Gabriela liked him, so embarassed he said he liked this mysterious girl instead. Who wouldn't want to marry Gabriela? Tell her too, when I was her age, maybe second grade, there was a boy in my class that was also very nice to me, but one day at recess with his friends he started throwing snowballs at my legs because I didn't have knee high socks on, but the short ones that folded down. I was so mad at him. My Dad informed me that this means the boy likes you. I have learned that it is true. My husband is ornery all the time and that reminds me that he has a crush on me. Not many boys are mature enough to buy flowers, even at thirty! She should get on that bus tomorrow with her head up and secretly know in her heart that he thinks she is adorable!
That is probably the saddest and cutest story I've heard in a while. Poor Gabriela. Annika's a player, she's got two boyfriends at school. Cracks me up.
Penny Lane that is some great advice!! -Hannah
Post a Comment