
Sometimes, words are just not enough to fully describe a person. You have to have known them to truly understand who they were. But I will try because he was such a wonderful man and a very special one to me (and undoubtedly to countless others)
Arden, to the world, was a simple farmer who chose to live amazingly simply, but was incredibly rich in relationships. To those who knew him, he was a faithful servant to God, fully enveloped in His love and lived his faith 100%. I am certain there are innumerable lives touched by his wise words, his constant smile, singing heart and tireless work ethic.
He was a sought after counselor, with no psychology degree; a revered reverend, with no seminary training; an addictions counselor, with no addictions certificate; a marriage counselor, with no license.
I met Arden at Faith Ranch the summer of 1997. I spent three summers there and became quite fond of him. Everyone loved Arden, even when he spoke stern words. He was famous for his phrase "Suffer, baby." He was a spiritual counselor for so many, and was always there for wise counsel, a stern talking to, and good hugs too. I never saw him without a smile on his face, even after spending 12 hours out in the fields in the scorching summer sun. His words were words that he lived by and he inspired you to listen to God.
He spoke to the staff at the camp quite frequently when we started to grumble or lose heart or needed a good lesson taught. He spoke without glamour or haughtiness, but with a quiet authority and all easily recognized his wisdom. He did not just talk the talk, but walked the walk. He loved to sing and had a raspy voice that seemed to be singing directly to heaven.
In many ways for me, he was a grandfather, because I met him the summer after I lost my mother's father. I often referred to him as my "sage" as I had the utmost respect for him and an incredible Christian love for him. So much so, that I refused to marry my husband until we had met with Arden and had a premarital counseling session. I'm sure many things were shared that day, but what I will never forget is this lesson: Marriage is not 50/50. It must be 100/100 because there will be times when one spouse will not be able to give anything, and the other's love and commitment will need to be 100%. He demonstrated this after his wife had a pretty major stroke and he tended to her so sweetly and with great love and dedication.
Arden flew from this world on March 17, 2009. Anyone who knew him knows that he is gloriously happy, having a chorus of angels join him in his constant singing for the Lord. I am also fully certain that he heard "Well done, good and faithful servant" and earned his crown. Here are two songs, that I remember him singing frequently and that will forever remind me of him when I hear these songs.
2 comments:
Wow - wonderfully written! And I must say "Amen!" Thank you for sharing. You have incredible gift with words and a great memory for detail.
Yes, I agree with the first comment - a very beautiful tribute to a great man. Have you sent a copy of it to his wife? I'm sure she'd like to read and keep it. Love Mom
Post a Comment