Friday, October 30, 2009

I like to work!

Sounds like an odd statement... but I do. I take pride and joy in working and taking care of what is mine -- my children, my husband, my house and property. Of course, this particular kind of work does not provide an income, but it's the kind of work I refer to.

Even with a smaller property than what I grew up on (5 acres), it takes a lot of work to maintain a house and to get it to your tastes and preferences. A larger property obviously takes even more effort. I grew up working - a lot! Of course, as a kid, I probably complained a bit (I know I did not like doing the dishes every night) but it did grow in me a work ethic that I hope to pass on to my children.

Last weekend our family went up to help my parents replace a section of fence in the field. Dad had already done all the prep work, so what was left was fairly easy, but the part that required several pairs of hands. I am so glad that my husband values and respects my parents that he insists on helping, and lucky that Gabriela is now big enough to participate, even though she is at an age where she may voice her complaints :)



Growing up, I loved helping my Dad and was often his "right hand gal" with many projects. I'm so glad we live closer now so that we can continue our helping relationship and work together more often. I have also found that working side by side with my Dad (and even my brother now) that there is a comfortable working relationship - like I know what they need/want and how to assist with minimal explanation. It's obviously come from years and hours of working together, that it is now a very natural feeling.

Gabriela may not see this now, but now that we have a house again, there is more she can do to help. And she's growing up so she gets even more responsibilities. Yesterday, for example, I spent a good part of my day literally digging out old logs stacked along part of our chain link fence... that afternoon after school she was able to help me clean up and move some other wood that had been piled in another part of the yard. Did she complain? Yes. Did she get dirty? Yes. Is it good for her in so many ways? YES!

2 comments:

Penny Lane said...

Amen, sista! My mother-n-law (step, who had no kids of her own) always harped on me because my children had chores. I think they'll be very self-sufficient and hopefully are learning that you must work hard to have nice things.

Maria said...

It's hard to understand those people that think chores are so terrible for children. Gabriela started cleaning up her toys when she was ONE years old! Seriously. How else are children supposed to learn?? And I am no child's servant! If they are talented enough to make a mess, they are big enough to help clean it up!