Thursday, October 22, 2009

Transition

So we've been moved into our new house and new community for 3 months now. As I've learned many times before from my numerous moves, there is always transition with a move. Transition to learn where your new favorite stores are, which pharmacy to use, which gas stations have the cheapest gas and on and on ... I find these chores to be the hardest part of moving, but also what eventually makes your house a home... you "know" the community and have networks in place. You can go to the store and recognize your child's classmate's parent, or your neighbor or a friend from church. But it definitely takes time, and some trial and error.

I'm also transitioning by being pregnant. It's a transition through the physical process, transition big time for me to find the contacts and careproviders I want/need in a new area (remember, I worked and knew many birth professionals and friends in Indiana; I know no one here). It's also going to be a big transition for all of us from our cozy three member family to include a brand new person (gender yet to be determined). Also, the tired physical state has really kept me slow to do all the things I want to start doing in our new home ... all the painting and organizing and all those things I love to do.

I'm not the only one transitioning ... Gabriela has a new school and has to make new friends. Fares has a brand new job, and not only is it new to him, it's also new to the school to have a full time Spanish professor and many new things come with that.

But, don't take this as I'm not optimistic. I am because of 1 - prior experience. This is our 4th city in 10 years together and each place we've lived has a special place in our hearts and many special friends we've left behind. This will be no different. And 2 - I am sure that this is where God wanted us and my heart tells me we will be here for quite a while ... that is a good, warm feeling.

Soon (I hope) I will put up a photo tour of the house. But, first, I need to go get some work done while it's decent weather and I have the energy! The last two days have been productive - here's hoping for one more!!

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

I agree that the transition is the hardest part of moving. I feel like we just finished our transition phase here and got comfortable and here we are getting ready for another move!

Penny Lane said...

I need to catch up on your e-mails! Remind me who you are seeing? I wanted to see if I had any friends from school down there. I have a client that is going to provide a seminar on the H1N1 vaccine. She is a biochemist and does research on immunizations.