A couple years back, my cousins and I decided that we would start a bi-annual Maple Family Reunion. Two years ago was the first at Virginia Beach. As we decided that we would go in age order down as to who planned the reunion, this year was my turn! This was a bit of a challenge as I had to start planning at least a year in advance and even last year I did not know where we would be, and as it turned out, we did wind up moving this year! Fortunately, it all worked out great! I have thoroughly enjoyed the Indiana Dunes several times, and started there. Unfortunately, I could not find any appropriate housing for nearly 40 people in Indiana. Michigan has a much stronger vacation atmosphere and much more to choose from. We had done tent camping the first time, and though we are all experienced campers, it's just a lot of extra work with a group as large as ours (and growing every year). The point of being together is just that -- being together. A hotel did not sound exactly like what I would want either. After hours and hours of searching online I finally hit upon the perfect place - a church camp that had lots of buildings for rent for families and groups!! I was able to get a building the size we'd need and rented for 4 days in late July. Perfect.
So, two days after we closed on our house, we were heading up to Michigan to meet my family -- our total: 22 adults, 15 children (2 new babies) and not counting the 2 babies on the way....
Everyone loved the housing... it was a 3 part building with 2 kitchens, 2 gathering areas, beds with linens and a big front yard to play in!! Perfect for us!!

Monday morning I took the family out for a truly regional experience -- blueberry picking!! I think we all enjoyed our hour at the farm (just up the road) and as a family we picked a pound per person - including the babies!! (that is about 37 pounds in all) We feasted on blueberries the rest of the week and there was still enough left for each family to take a bag home!



Now, the main attraction in Michigan is Lake Michigan and this camp is located a 20 minute walk to a free access beach!! So most of the week we hung out on the beach!
Walking to the beach:

The view:

My bathing beauty:

One family brought a boat:

Our little "cabana"
No comments:
Post a Comment