Tuesday, March 11, 2008

F-I-V-E!!!

Well, believe it or not, but Gabriela is now five years old! Kind of neat, her birthday happened to fall on a Sunday this year, which was also the day of the week she was actually born. I think I've mentioned it before, but five seems like to be a big milestone. She is definitely not the pre-schooler she once was. Sure, she still has tantrums (slams her door, just like teenagers do) and other such moments, but overall, five has been a big leap forward. I'm trying to make five feel like a big milestone too. She's going to get some extra privileges, but some new responsibilities too. She's also getting some good mileage out of this birthday too.

Her dad is out of the country right now on a mission trip over spring break (hence part of the reason I have no new pictures to share) so I did not want to do a party while he was gone. Instead, we're going to take a neat trip in a couple weeks and celebrate then. You'll see what it is... it's really neat and I'm excited for it. But you'll have to wait to see what it is ... ;)

But... I still tried to make sure her birthday was not ignored either. So, on Thursday we went to Toys R Us to spend some gift card money. No clothes at this store in her size, so she got to get some toys of her choice (within the "budget"). They gave her a crown and made a store announcement about her birthday and all the employees would say happy birthday when they saw her. She chose a baby doll with a medical kit (stethoscope and the like) and a neat little Cinderella doll that has all four dresses that can be changed out with tiny shoes to match, along with Jaq, Gus and a bluebird. Cute.

Friday we were treated to dinner out by some friends and she got to pick out a cereal we usually don't buy and some animal crackers as a treat.

Saturday I took her and a friend to the local nature center that had a presentation called "Awesome Amphibians" She wanted to do an animal event rather than the other craft event we could have done. I was excited. And incredibly disappointed! The HOUR long presentation to a room full of kids (some young like the ones with me, some older) was simply a powerpoint presentation of each species in each genus found in Indiana. Pictures on a screen, detailed lists of descriptions, the months of each mating season was what was shared.... BORING!!!!!!!!!!! For everyone involved!!!!!! I could not believe it! At least once we got to the frogs we could hear their calls, but even that loses interest after the first couple. It was awful! I was lucky that the girls were fairly good, but it was awful for them too. At the end, we did get to paint a clay pot to use as a "toad abode" which they enjoyed painting... but it was NOT a program for kids... in fact, it would have bored even the most interested student of herpetology :) Ugh.

I took the girls to play and eat at BK, then home, and another friend took us out to eat again. Yeah for no dinner dishes two nights in a row!

Sunday, she got a candle in some heart-shaped pancakes and sung happy birthday to by me and two friends. They got her a nice gift also. She got something small from us for the time being, too. Her daddy had sent her a video birthday wish. We went to church, then returned that afternoon to watch the "variety show" they had, plus she participated in a sign language demonstration with the kids from children's church. There was a taco dinner too (three nights with no dinner dishes!) They served a yummy dessert: vanilla ice cream with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top, with a baked tortilla also sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

My family was supposed to come over for the weekend, but that didn't happen either (another reason for no pictures). Here's why they didn't make it.

There's lots else that's happened lately, so stay tuned for other updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Gabriella! Thanks for sharing the link to Honduras pictures--they were amazing!