Thursday, July 19, 2007

How cool is this?

A lady at work obliged me (and my daughter) this really cool gift...



It's the type of caterpillar that will turn into a Monarch butterfly!!! Isn't it cute?!? She gave it to me today at work and all morning he just sat on the desk munching on the milkweed. He has currently climbed up to the underside of the lid in our insect box. Fares ingeniously helped secure the stick. I think it's getting ready to hang into its "J" and start making his chrysalis really soon (he's not eaten since this morning). Then 14 days after that, the Monarch emerges! I will try to keep you updated with pictures.

Apparently, this is something this lady at work has done every summer her entire life. We've never done this, even though I imagine we might have had some caterpillars we could have found on milkweed. I got a book a short while back for Gabriela about this process, and now we get to watch it first hand. She knew immediately what it was and what it would turn into.

No comments: