I chose not to pierce Gabriela's ears as an infant. It is very customary in other cultures to do it when they are very little so they don't remember the pain. I didn't and stand by my choice despite some people's questioning. I also did not want to have her wait until the age I had my ears pierced (12). I believe she can be quite responsible and care for herself well before that age. I decided that anytime after age 6 and when she was ready (and had some of her own money) I would allow her this privilege to get her ears pierced.
She's been talking about it for a while, but with some trepidation to the pain required (which tends to support those that do it when they are babies). But, she's been inquisitive and we've explained how it is and she bugged her dad to death yesterday to go and do it. She seemed ready and excited and prepared. So we went.
Apparently it was ear piercing day yesterday and we arrived while another little girl was sitting in the chair. Gabriela opted to watch the process (my mommy voice was telling me maybe she shouldn't, but she chose to watch anyway). The little girl jumped as the earrings went in and started to cry, though she recovered quickly (less than 30 seconds). But now my little girl's heart was pounding away like crazy. She started to get tears in her eyes and wanted to opt out. We encouraged her to stay and promised her ice cream afterward. The anticipation was killing her, the poor thing, but she did not run.
And you know what... I am so proud of her courage! She was scared (understandably), but she persevered and discovered that often the anticipation is much worse than the actual event. That is a good life lesson I think and I am proud of my decision too.
1 comment:
Some of Jake's family questioned our decision not to pierce our girls' ears, but I also am not into baby piercings. I want them to want the piercings and they haven't shown any interest yet. Congrats to Gabriella for being brave!
Post a Comment