Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The opposite of Murphy...

I don't know his/her name, but after Murphy's visit on Saturday, Tuesday's visit from the "other" side was very well received!!

First, I got an appointment at the dentist. Now, that may not seem very positive to many, but it really was a blessing and today was confirmation of that. We have been without dental insurance since mid-2006. We have had one emergency repair (which insurance would not have paid for anyway) and Gabriela has been covered, but Fares and I have not. We have now had regular insurance (dental included) since September but have not gotten around to doing anything with it yet. It's been on my list, but other things have trumped it week after week.

First problem is selecting a dentist. Well, at work last week I asked my other medical friends for their suggestions, and a name was mentioned (and highly praised) that was on our list of approved dentists. I called yesterday to start the process of getting us (Fares and I) on the books. Well, I was told for a new patient it could be after the first of the year before getting in (well, ugh, but it made sense). I had told them that the dentist was recommended by a friend at their church. And also asked if she saw children. She does. Yeah! I immediately got good warm feelings from the office. I've not been completely pleased by other pediatric dentists that whisk your kids away from you and then do nothing to even try to connect with you as the parent. Not good. This did not feel like it would be like that.

Then the amazing part... they had just had a family of 3 cancel for the following afternoon (today) and it so happened that I could squeeze it into our crazy life schedule to get us all three in the very next day!

So we went this afternoon and I was very happy with our treatment. Everyone was super nice, and friendly and they did a great job with Gabriela. Now, we all have some follow up work to be done, but nothing too tragic, particularly considering it's been well over 2.5 years since we've been to a dentist. It's so nice to find a good fit and we were just incredibly blessed to get in so quick too. Yeah for our dentist!

The other "good" thing yesterday was receiving a bed bug proof mattress cover to "test" for the university. These things are supposed to work well, but they are not cheap, which is why I have not purchased one for us yet. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

No comments: