Saturday, November 08, 2008

Jinx

Today was one of those days that you wish you could just go back to bed and wake up on a different day - a restart button would be nice.

It wasn't all bad, but we had some bad luck today. First, I washed the last small load of clothes for the week. We use a small apartment washer that we put the hose into the tub to drain and use a bucket to fill it and then we hang things to dry. Anyway, after the wash cycle, I went back and witnessed that I had neglected to put the hose back into the tub (it had been out for us to shower, etc) and about 2.5 buckets of water had flooded our and Gabriela's room. UGH! It took a while but I got it all mopped up with old towels and that load rinsed and then hung. So then I had an extra load to wash all those towels. Well I made sure the hose was where it should be. Then... it happened again! The hose was angled such that the water hit the edge of the tub and it flooded again!!! Not quite as bad, but all my mopping towels were in the washer! Double UGH!

Okay ... got that part all taken care of finally and went grocery shopping. Fortunately it went well though I really don't like Saturday shopping - way too crowded! But I worked all week so earlier wasn't an option. I get home and when I had left Fares was cleaning the inside of our computer. It was still open and on the floor when I got home... he said he had bad news. Uh-oh. We had already figured out it wasn't our day... A little background before the bomb...

[ Fares started getting that male "itch" for another new electronic... a new desktop for us. I like to wait as long as possible for these sorts of things. And he had decided, amazingly, to agree and maybe just get some $30 memory to help things improve a bit. A while back it would make whirring sounds, but that's stopped for a while, and then it has been shutting down on us out of the blue but we think that was a software issue... and that's not happened much lately either]

So he had been just dusting the inside and such... he said he plugged it back in, turned it on, and the whirring started and right after, the burning smell. It's fried for whatever reason. Murphy has been over for dinner here today. Of course, the ONE (first and probably only) time my husband agrees to pass on his "itch" and the thing quits. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, this suffices to say that I may not be on as much for a little while until we find a new computer for me. Anyone else want to entertain Murphy tomorrow??

1 comment:

Sarah Mae said...

That really stinks! We just fulfilled an "itch" Jake has had for awhile to get a new TV. He wanted a really nice flat screen to put over the fireplace. We have always used the cheap one he got as a single soldier before we were married. But it recently makes an annoying humming in the background the entire time it is on. So I consented to a new TV, but I insist that this is Jake's early Christmas.