... itty bitty living space" - Aladdin
I thought I'd continue the movie quote themes for a bit (or until I can no longer relate life to a movie quote I am familiar with).
I mentioned as most should be aware that in our life's changes we sold our nice, roomy 1400 square foot home with a nice sized back yard to live in married student housing on campus... I am not entirely sure we have any cosmic powers, but we do now have an "itty bitty living space." In summary, it is barely (if) 600 square feet in a T-shaped building with four floors, approx. 20 apartments on each floor. We have a two bedroom, which also includes a bathroom, living area and kitchen. It is constructed of painted cinder block, suspended ceilings and industrial linoleum tile.
PROS:
1. Life has returned to the "basic needs and few extras" category. I am totally in favor of housing only those items that you really need and actually use. But we also have a 10x10 rented storage space for the "extras" ;) I did do a lot of throwing out/getting rid of before our move which was very satisfying.
2. The cinder block walls are actually pretty good sound buffers... so screaming 3 year olds (and parents) are not overheard often in the halls. Or neighbor's music or fights, etc.
3. A chance at some re-decorating
4. It must be like living on a plane or boat - everything has its place and if you move the wrong item the rest comes falling out ;)
5. Simplified responsibilities... someone else gets to fix the leaky toilet, etc. (which was needed upon move-in. we were actually lucky that we did not walk into a flooded apt. Housekeeping had checked on it the morning of the day we moved in and found a flood and cleaned it up. Unfortunately they were not aware anyone would be here later that day and did not have maintenance fix the leaky toilet or have a chance to re-wax the floors) There is also no yard work, but a great grassy commons to play in, picnic at, etc. Gabriela likes the playground (but not the apartment... more on that later)
6. It is so cheap it is unbelievable... so the sacrifice there is a nice advantage.
CONS:
1. Neutral cinder block walls... ugh. Makes it difficult to hang much, and those 3M sticky hooks do not particularly like cinder block.
2. The microwave is on top of the refrigerator, blocking the cabinet there also... my toilet tank lid does not fit with the space saver around the toilet (which is very helpful for extra accessible storage in the bathroom). A piece of cardboard is there for now.
3. Dust bunnies! Ugh... fortunately my husband is bothered a bit more quickly than I and cleans the floor often ;)
4. We had just paid for central air last year to be added to our house, and now we have a loud and ugly window ac unit... it keeps us cool, but it really needs to be pulled out and the windows washed (yuck)
5. We are back to coin-operated laundry (though there are laundry rooms on each floor, so at least no hauling of clothes up and down, or out of your building; it's also fairly cheap) and apartment sized refrigerator/freezer - I miss my side-by-side!!!!
6. Back to paying for parking passes and the trees leave a nasty sappy film all over the car.
All in all, we are surviving and college life was fun before. Hopefully we can meet some people at the apartments and make some friends soon. It is also probably preparing us for apartment living in Brasil - especially the tile floors ;) I also miss my dog, though he is in good hands at my parent's house (as well as my fridge ;)
Hope this is not too long, but here are a few pics of the place...
2 comments:
It was great to hear more about how you are doing--sounds like your optimism is intact. I get frustrated enough with my cinder block office walls; they were fine for dorm room posters, but difficult if you want to grow beyond that. I couldn't find the pictures, though. (Maybe we have setting on our browser that makes them not show up?) I like the Aladdin quote you used. We used it in a children's sermon once, talking about how amazing it is that Jesus came as a baby. Hope your lamp starts to feel cozy.
Oi, Maria!
Estamos com saudades, queria ve-los no dia do seu closing, mas tudo bem. Legal saber de voces atraves do seu blog! Voces gostaram do final da Belissima? Eu nao!!
Novidades: estamos pintando o resto da nossa casa, finalmente! Um senhor esta' terminando de tirar o papel de parede e pretendemos trocar o piso. Entao qdo vcs vierem vai estar diferente mesmo! Minha irma mais nova planeja nos visitar em setembro, orem para q ela consiga o visto e que as reformas estejam terminadas a tempo.
Estamos nos recuperando do Brasil nao ter avancado na Copa, mas pelo menos a Franca tb nao ganhou...
Mande mais noticias! Beijos pro Fares e Gabi.
Cathy
Post a Comment