Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I am getting old

It's not something any of us like to admit. My birthday has yet to arrive this year, but I learned something the other day that made me realize that I am definitely "old"

Fares shared the other day that one of his students sent him an email and the greeting in this email was "Hey Pimp"

(pause)

Yes.

You read that right.

"Hey Pimp"

To his profesor

In an email

I am guessing most of you who read my blog will now have to agree with my statement that I am indeed, old.

Apparently, I was informed, this is new slang and is not offensive. Whether that is true or not, I still do not think that addressing your professor in slang (very informal speech) is appropriate, particularly in written form.

I am sure many of our "elders" were bewildered by some of our youth slang also... "cool, man" "it's wicked, dude" and so on.

I guess it is now my turn to be bewildered.

4 comments:

Amber said...

"pimpin'" is one of Barbara's favorite sayings. I don't get it. I'm old as well.

KAT said...

I agree that it's not appropriate to say that to a professor.

Anonymous said...

One of my friends is a professor and he was bugged that his student contacted him through text instead of an email. I agree that it's not cool to use slang with your teachers.-Hannah

Barbie Pickut said...

I am old too. We were doing a youth activity several years ago where the kid were writing their own psalms. One of them used similar phrasing. Most of them turned out great, but I just could not bring myself to share that one.