Friday, January 30, 2009

A New Year's Resolution

I'm not normally a person to make a lot of New Year's Resolutions. It's just too easy to lose steam and go back to "normal." But there is one thing I'd like to move away from this year -- too much tv!

In the past (ie. when I was a SAHM) my and thus Gabriela's tv viewing was quite limited... a little bit of news while I ate breakfast, maybe one video (in portuguese) in the afternoon for a "break" and then our nightly news and novela. But since we have moved and have cable included in our rent and she has gotten older, we've migrated to much more tv watching than we should. Part of this attempt to reduce our watching is that even the morning news programs are just not appropriate for a young child to be watching while eating breakfast!! Stories of murdered 3 year olds and the like is not going to be added to our breakfast diet.

So, the tv is now off in the morning after I hear the weather forecast and make sure school is not closed or delayed... TV watching after school is being allowed, but for 30 minutes only. Then we turn on music. We'll still get in our novela on nights we have time, but tv online is great like that... we can watch when we want! I'm trying this "diet" for myself as well. Though lately I've not had many days at home, I get a whole lot more done when the tv is off! I've also noticed that initially we'd have some complaining but eventually she would find something much more constructive to do also. I enjoy any number of tv shows and it can be a way to "keep company" if you are home alone, but music is so much more soothing for the soul I think. Wish us luck! We've made some good progress the last couple weeks, we just need to keep it up and as soon as spring is here, we can outside more!

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

You are so good! I am terrible with TV viewing. It is worse as a SAHM, because I get so bored and it is too easy to just plop down in front of the TV instead of doing housework. That is a goal of mine as well. I just need to find other things to do to fill my days now that the girls are gone all day.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to do that in the winter, because you just want to be snuggled up inside.-Hannah