Sunday, February 18, 2007

Valentine's Day

Belated Valentine's to everyone! Gabriela and I had fun making cookies. She was interested in the baking and eating more than the decorating. I had some creative fun there :) We also handed out some valentines to friends that live in the same apartments, and she got a lot of chocolate in return. Her grandparents and great-grandparents also sent fun items (and chocolate) to her in the mail. Unfortunately, there was no school party as school was canceled all week due to snow, ice and cold temperatures.

Our lemon sugar cookies with lemon frosting.

The day after Feb 14 Fares and I were able to have more of our day. He worked late and I was able to get Gabriela to bed and make a three course meal for him as a surprise, candle and all ;) It was all rather last minute (not pre-planned) and though I am not the world's most adept chef, I created a rather yummy dessert:

This was made using Maria cookies (think sweet cracker, but not overly sweet) layered with cool whip, blackberries, more Maria cookies and cool whip, fresh strawberries, cool whip and a strawberry cream filled chocolate heart, with raspberry jam sauce drizzled on top. Yum.


We've also had our share of some snow and ice this week, along with a sick Gabriela... she got a stomach virus that was making her feel pretty sick for about 24 hours, but it hung on a little longer than expected for her to get back to her normal self. So while we couldn't really go out in the snow to play (never mind the sub-zero temps), her dad brought some in, albeit temporarily:



Here is another glance at our winter wonderland from our living room window. We stayed in for two days (due to snow), and finally dug out from the ice and snow (gotta love it when the parking lot is clear, but you are hedged in with snow still) on Thursday. We got more added to it this week, but it just freshened things up a bit. We're supposed to thaw out this week, which ought to be an awful, slushy mess...

1 comment:

Amber said...

Brr! I wore shorts this week... I"m looking forward to putting all the pants and jackets away in a couple weeks too! I hope you get completely dug out soon!

I've had maria cookies! They taste like animal crackers to me. I don't know that I've ever seen them here though- just up in Utah.