So, here is Fernando's birth story:
The first weekend in March we planned to have a small, family party on Sunday to celebrate not only Gabriela's 7th birthday, but my brother's birthday as well (he was born March 8, Gabriela March 9). I had seen my Dr. earlier in the week and he asked when I "had my babies" I shared that Gabriela came just after 37 weeks, but I had been sick the night before, so was not sure which came first - labor or the vomiting.
Anyway... Saturday, March 6, I started feeling some menstrual-like cramps around lunchtime or so. But seriously only like mild menstrual cramps. It continued throughout the day. We weren't doing much that day, but I tried to keep myself moving and occupied with light tasks. By dinner time they were still steady, but not very long or strong. I did not tell anyone as it's hard to say with subsequent babies if it was labor or just early contractions. My brother decided to come down Sat night so he could sleep in here and not have to get up earlier in order to come down with my parents. He arrived late. Around 9pm that night I spoke briefly to my best friend, my doula and my doctor to advise them of my continued light cramping. My Dr said to keep him informed, even if things "petered out." At that point I didn't think things would "peter out" but was beginning to hope I could get some sleep before facing labor head on. By 10pm, Travis was here and he and Fares wanted to run to WalMart. I got in the shower to try and relax myself and go to bed early. I finally told Fares I was having contractions, but wasn't sure when things would pick up. So, I spent some time in the shower, and in an hour Fares was back. By then it seemed that contractions were picking up, so I called my doula again and said she should relax a little more with her family, take a nap and nurse her baby again. I said I'd call her again in a bit, but it seemed at least that things were going to move forward. The dr. was informed again also I believe.
By this point, I was ready for a little more company and Fares would come rub my back, while I was on the ball next to our bed. I had had everything packed in the thought I would go early like I did with Gabriela. Contractions were taking a little more focus now and I thought I was beginning to enter active labor, though I could still talk through most contractions and they weren't very long or terribly strong. I mentally was ready for a typical labor pattern.
Around 12:15am I called my doula and said I'd appreciate it if she'd come over soon as I was ready for someone to be with me full time. Shortly after I spoke to her, I got up on our bed in hands and knee position and that's when I felt a movement, felt a break, then a gush... my water had broken!
I went to the bathroom to see what I could see, and suddenly labor took a 180. Things were pretty intense and as Fares was telling the Dr my water had broke and we'd be heading that way soon, I had the sense that things were moving faster than I would have thought.... and we were a good half-hour drive away from the chosen hospital. Fares started putting our things in the car, and in the meantime I began having the urge to push. I kept thinking that it was way to soon for that, that I couldn't go that quickly, but not being able to ignore my body either. At that point I would have loved for a midwife to walk through the bathroom door, but it was my brother hovering around the corner. He kept asking me if I was okay, if it hurt, or what he could do. He did get me a glass of water which I needed. By now the car was loaded and Fares was adamant that he was not taking me a half hour away, but to our local hospital down the road. I agreed. (I think he thought I wouldn't agree). He got me a gown and underwear to put on and I made it downstairs between contractions. Got my shoes on, then went to the floor during another contraction. Then out the door to the car. Waited for a towel. Then waved to my brother and we took off, me trying not to push too much during contractions. By now it was nearing 1 am.
I'm sure my brother called my parents to update them (I believe Fares had called them earlier also). And when my doula showed up, he told her we were heading to St E.
We got to the ER entrance and Fares told the lady at the desk why we were there. I made it in a minute later and gladly took the wheelchair and told them to get me to a room quickly as I was having a baby soon. They asked Fares to park the car (I don't think they realized how serious and right I was) and I was wheeled on ahead. I told the girl pushing me a few basic facts: this was my second baby, I was 37 weeks, didn't know my GBS result, did not want an episiotomy and wanted baby kept with me and my Dr was not at this hospital... We made it to the Maternity unit and at the desk I told them that I was not registered here, my Dr was up north and I was pushing! They asked me not to push and to fill out a small form with basic info (name, DOB, etc). I was a bit incredulous but hurriedly filled out the form and repeated again that I wanted a room. I was wheeled to a room right next to the desk and got on to the bed.
A nurse on one side of me apparently checked me and said I was complete. You think?? I think by that point I had figured that out. Then a nurse on the other side told me to touch my baby... I reached down and could easily spread 3 fingers across his head. You could say I was complete I suppose :) Then I saw Lori, my doula, at my side, and then saw Fares come in with the Dr. I reiterated to the Dr that I did not want an episiotomy but did not want to tear, and to give me my baby once he came out.
They asked me to push slowly and his head came out. I thought, good, I'm almost done. Then they asked me to push, push, push. Out came the shoulders, nipping me just a bit in the process. Then I had him in my arms. Wow! Was that fast! It was 1:10 am on March 7, 2010.
But almost right away the nurse wanted to take him as his heart rate was low (70 bpm she said). I reluctantly allowed them to take him to the other side of the room to give him some oxygen and apparently deep suctioned once. He had had the cord around his neck a couple times, which is probably what attributed to that. Fares went with him, while the Dr was doing too much fundal massage. I and my doula repeatedly asked to have baby returned to me, and eventually he was, after some continued insistence. The pediatrician on call came in and watched him closely for a little bit with an oxygen monitor, and we did not have to do anything else for him. I got one small stitch, with no local, but it was over quickly. Fernando did cry for the first half hour but I was then able to get him latched on and calmed down. I probably kept him nursing for about 2 hours or so, which amazed the nurse... she said I won the first nursing time prize... ha ha!
The rest of the dawn we took a bit of a nap, though I could not really put my brand new baby down much. His pediatrician that I had chosen visited us around 6:30am and gave him the go ahead to go home whenever I was discharged, knowing that I would return to repeat the heel test and hearing test, etc. At 7ish a resident came in and had some general health questions for me, all with good results. He asked me if I had any questions. I asked when I could go home. He literally looked at me with his mouth open and stated that I had just had a baby 6 hours earlier. I said, yes, I know, and I had already been home at this point with my first baby. He said he'd have to check with his supervisor... :)
The next nurse on duty was very nice and hoped I would be discharged without hassle by lunchtime. They just wanted to check my iron levels and I still needed to do the paperwork for his birth certificate. That was fine with me. We made a zillion phone calls to friends and family while waiting. Lunchtime came and went, and finally I called again to check on the blood results. They were in and the nurse came to help me out just before 2 pm. We finally made it home and amazingly we got there before my parents!
I insisted that Gabriela would be the first one to hold her little brother. She was not allowed in the hospital due to the flu scare... and though it may sound petty, she is the one that is most affected by her brother's arrival. Her life is the most changed. If I could have, she would have been present for the birth, but alas, that was not possible. Instead, she was the first one to hold him and she helped with his first bath as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment