Monday, August 11, 2008

A Birthday, Bargain Hunting and Bed Bug update

As good timing would have it, my sister in law, Adriana, was able to celebrate her birthday (same age as me if you know) with us a week after her arrival. We had a basic brasilian style bbq and cake... Here's a pic of us girls! It's nice having family so near to spend time with and celebrate with also.



I could not be my father's daughter if I did not love a good bargain hunt (aka garage sales and Goodwill). Our next weekend we dedicated to such enterprises to help my sister in law get needed household items, and I always enjoy a good hunt too :) We found a few odd and ends at the university indoor garage sale, but our great find of the day was a decent computer for them at $50. My find of the day for myself was a crock pot for $4! I've been wanting one for a while, and though it's the older style in which the pot is sealed in the heating element (you can't take just the pot out to clean it), it is a good size, great price and hopefully works (it hasn't been put to the test quite yet). If you have any good recipes you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it. Fares also got a new toy... a home theater system, with a 5-disc changer for CDs and DVDs, and radio tuner! We've been needing a new stereo for a while, and got more than expected at a great discounted price. It was his treat for working extra tutoring hours. He more than deserves it!

So far we have had the house treated twice for the bed bugs (see earlier post). It is truly a pain to get so much stuff washed/dried and bagged and then put it all back together. And it's a bit disconcerting that these things can remain hidden from the insecticide and live up to 18 months with no food!! Needless to say you become wary of your chance of success and it's awful feeling "over run" by tiny bugs. I had been so occupied with the rest of life, that literally, as I was putting stuff away from the first upheaval the guy knocked on our door to schedule the second treatment. We may have to do this one more time, but it will be a month from the second treatment. But.. we put her back in her bed after this second treatment and so far so good. No nighttime bites! Maybe we will luck out and we've overcome this part.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Woo hoo for bargains! Crockpots are the best for meats. I do a couple of things:

Roast with some water, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, carrots, potatoes and onions. High for 5 hours (or low for 8-9) and you'll have the most delicious and tender roast ever.

Ribs with onions and BBQ sauce for 5-6 hours on high then take out and broil after brushing on some more sauce for just a few minutes- falling apart in your mouth ribs.

We do pulled pork and shredded chicken in the crock pot too.

Anonymous said...

How frustrating about the bugs! I just heard a radio story about how persistent they are. Amazing, but not in a good way.

You will love your crock pot. We make chili in ours and have tried some other things, but I'm still looking for more really good recipes.