My good deed last week was to take a friend's parents to the airport as she had a schedule conflict. So, I decided to go ahead and make a day of it and visit friends in Indianapolis since I was already there. So, we went and had a good day. That evening her family was getting together at a place that has lots of inflatable, bouncing around toys. Sounded like fun so we went also. The plan was then to hit the road back home after lots of bouncing around. The girls had tons of fun at the play place, but it started to get stormy. Storms have been pretty nasty this season as the news can attest. So I decided to just stay in town and spend the night (unprepared of course). Fortunately, my friend is a really good friend and she lent me the basics :) I figured we'd get up and lazy on home the next day.
It was still a bit stormy in the morning, but radar showed the storms moving on out after a bit, so we let the girls play a little more, I took a shower, then we took off. Well... on my way I hear the radio talking about all the flash flooding that had taken place and that I-70 was closed. I figured it was on the other side of where I was going. Well, two more highway signs told me I figured wrong. I-70 West was closed through to Terre Haute.
Closed? The interstate? I-70? It couldn't be.
I also knew that the state road which would provide an alternate route was probably not any better off than the interstate and I knew a lot of those small towns in those counties had had a lot of flash flooding. I was trapped. I could not go home.
So, luckily, I have another pair of friends in Indy and luckily they were home with nothing in particular planned for their Saturday afternoon. So Gabriela and I went there hoping we would not have to "camp out" another night in the same clothes. They also have a little girl, so they went and played while us adults tried to figure out what was going on with the roads.
The tv was not saying much, and the radio had not mentioned anything about any alternate routes. All I knew was I-70 was closed going in both directions and thus I was cut off from home. This was an odd and strange feeling for sure. So, I looked online at several news sources and found only very brief statements. No additional helpful information. So I tried the state webpage. Absolutely NOTHING! And of course the 800 number was overloaded and busy. How can a major interstate highway be shut down and the state web page have NO information?!?! Sorry, but I'm hardly impressed with our state's effectiveness in a time of crisis.
About three hours later there was finally some helpful information on a local news station. The alternate route was open to both directions of traffic. Okay. Good. I could go home now. My friends invited me to stay for dinner, then I headed out.
Got to the detour and filled up on gas (thank goodness I thought of that) and by 9:00pm was in a loooong line of traffic. I was at the east edge of the county just east of my home county. As were a ton of semis and many other passenger cars.
It was hot (didn't want the A/C to use up my gas, and idling next to big semis makes it even hotter and blocks any breeze that might be around)
It was s-l-o-w. We'd go maybe 500 feet then sit for 10 minutes.
I hate not knowing what lane to really stay in... is this side moving faster? or that side? or should I stay here because it must be merging...?
I did chat with another lady that had gone east that morning, and was also stuck in the mess trying to get home after work. We thought the town we were headed for was under water, but we had no other alternative but to follow the truck in front.
Talked to a friend that lived in this little town and heard her story of the day.... water water everywhere! She had boats in her street and still some across her road that night after a storm drain burst.
It got dark. And late. And none of the radios were talking about the roads. My poor husband was a bit worried. I considered turning back and returning to my friends', but it was late and I was "this" close.... though time kept ticking.
Gabriela was tired but couldn't sleep. Fortunately she was very good and calm for me.
FINALLY.... at midnight (note: 3 hours and 8 miles later) I got to the turn off point and headed back toward the interstate and home in 20 minutes!
Ugh. Not fun. But it was very sweet to be home and with my husband after our "day" trip turned into a two day, very tiring return home.
1 comment:
Wow! What an ordeal! I was wondering how y'all would do with the constant rain over there.
Post a Comment